Type of Services Provided:
Now that you have decided to install a living shoreline on your property, contacting an experienced professional in living shoreline construction is the next step.
Living shoreline specialist will often provide the following services:
- Site assessment
- Project design
- Obtaining the appropriate regulatory permits
- Construction materials
- Delivery of materials
- Rental of equipment for construction
- Construction labor
Tips for Working with a Reputable Company:
When shopping around for who best to install your living shoreline, the following tips are good practices in working with a reputable company:
- Not all companies perform the work in every step of the process, you may need to put a team together where each member handles an aspect of the project such as design, permitting, construction or maintenance
- Set goals you would like your project to accomplish: erosion control, wildlife habitat, improved water quality, water access, etc.
- Ensure the companies are bonded and insured
- Request for environmental credentials
- Ask for examples of previous sites where they constructed a successful project
- Go see those sites in person if visible from a public area
- Obtain multiple quotes with the same plan and materials
- Consider a contract that includes “retention” in order to retain some of the payment until the project is completed
- Have a detailed contract in place before any work begins
- Ask if the contractor does any monitoring or checking in on their work
In Delaware, it is not required that a licensed marine contractor install a living shoreline. Although, it is highly recommended that you contact a specialist that has a background in coastal engineering and marine construction to ensure a properly designed project.